Class wait lists are intended to facilitate the priority registration process by allowing students the ability to be added to the wait lists once a class has closed if/when additional spaces open due to other student drops. No students on the wait list shall be dropped until the class size maximum is reached. Students who have registered on a wait list have priority over students who have been given an add code by the instructor. All faculty within a department are required to adhere to these wait list regulations. Any individual class exceptions must have prior approval from the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Each department, in consultation with the supervising administrator, will set a wait list size beyond the maximum class size for each course and submit the wait list limit to the Scheduling Office.
- During priority registration and prior to the official start of the class, these wait list slots will be available to students via computer enrollment and maintained in chronological order.
- Students enrolled on the computerized wait list are expected to pay all appropriate enrollment fees at the time of registration. If final enrollment is not secured, students can apply enrollment and course fees to another class or receive an automatic refund.
- Students enrolled on a wait list cannot enroll in classes whose schedule conflicts with the wait list class, nor can students enroll in any other section of the same course for which they already have wait list status.
- Students will automatically advance on the wait list in chronological order, and enrollment may be secured by the time classes begin.
- In order to maintain eligibility for enrollment, wait listed students must attend the first class meeting or log on by 11:59 pm Pacific Time of the first day of the class for classes that meet online.
- Instructors shall inform wait listed students if seats will become available to secure enrollment at the first class meeting or by 11:59 pm Pacific Time of the first day of the class for classes that meet online.
- If the instructor determines that some or all of the wait listed students cannot be accepted, the instructor must drop those students as soon as possible following the close of the first class meeting, or after 11:59 pm Pacific Time of the first day of the class for classes that meet online. Any wait listed students not dropped will automatically be accepted into the class, without needing add codes.
- Instructors must not distribute add codes to other students until after all wait listed students have been accepted. Students who have registered on a wait list have priority over students who have been given an add code by the instructor.
Policy 3.1.14 and Procedure 3.1.14P, Revised May 2012